Wednesday, March 25, 2009

21 Days

They say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit…who “they” are I’m not quite sure, but “they” certainly do say a lot…but I digress...



So, I’ve wanted and I’ve had good intentions to establish a plan to get in better shape and be healthier, and, well it’s like with most things in my life that if it doesn’t fit conveniently into my schedule it quite often doesn’t get done. Oh I’ll get up and exercise for a few days and then something happens to derail me and it takes me a week or so to get back into it again. So, in my effort to get in better shape I’ve decided to take "them" up on the notion that doing something for 21 days in a row will make it a habit.

Today was day 12 on my way to 21 days. Now, this may not seem like much of an accomplishment, but in order to reach said goal of exercising daily I have to get up between 5-5:30, yep, that’s in the morning, to fit it into my day. Even though I consider myself a morning person, when the alarm goes off at 5:00 beckoning me to the treadmill or weights…whichever day it might be…I usually lay there for a while wondering if I really need to do this every day…missing just one morning for extra sleep wouldn’t hurt, right? Well, that’s what has gotten me in the habit of not exercising regularly, so up and at ‘em.

Thirteen days ago my friend Sam and I were commiserating via facebook (she’s in Idaho and I’m in California) that we wanted to get in shape but lacked the motivation, when we decided to be each other’s motivation. We check in with each other every day and it’s worked wonders for me. I don’t want to be the one to say, "no I didn’t do it to today because (enter whatever excuse one might use here." I figure if I put this out there on my blog then it might make me even more accountable and therefore will give me more motivation to get up on those mornings when my warm covers are begging me to stay.

Wish me luck…

Do you see that it says finish line way off in the distance? There really is no finish line, but it's a little daunting if I think of it as a forever thing, so I'll be working toward that finish line that I should never reach :)

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

That is AWESOME! I'm so impressed. I always have to have a person exercising with me to get me out of bed...
Here's to your 21 days! I hope it works.

lisamarie said...

it's a never ending battle. DON'T GIVE UP! I can't wait to see if the 21 days truly works. I've been running with some buddies, which has made a huge difference but we only do it 2-3 days a week....and that's pretty much all that gets done, which isn't quite enough to reach that finish line. Keep up the good work!

Karla said...

Good luck Desi!! I am trying so hard to exercise every day but it doesn't do any good if my exercise is walking to the cupboard where the chocolate is hiding :(. Let me know how the 21 days works for you. I know you can do it. You will be my inspiration.

Jenn said...

Now that's the way to do it! I'm like you, I start off so good, then I give it up. I've got to do this too! Good luck!

Janelle said...

Oh take me with you, I wish I had 12 days down to a new me!